So yesterday in my Imagination class (yes, it's really a class. A fucking awesome Psychology class. And yes, it's legit) my group had to do a presentation about virtual worlds and internet technology. Our presentation sparked a debate about modern technology and whether it's enhancing our lives, or robbing us from it. People believe that emailing and posting on people's Facebook walls is preventing us from having authentic connections with our friends and families. I guess you can argue both sides.
Technologies like Facebook, email, etc. is a very convenient way to keep in touch with friends and family. Before even the phone was invented, you would have to go visit people or write them letters. I am SO thankful that I didn't live back then. If I only had these two options to communicate with people I would probably be a loner. Writing letters is boring and you aren't having a conversation, plus you would have to wait a couple of weeks to hear back; I'd rather go visit people. But even that would suck after a while. I talk to my mom nearly everyday, but I couldn't go visit her everyday (I can't afford the gas, and little conversations aren't worth all the time commuting). I also don't talk on the phone much, unless there is something specific I need to talk to my mom or dad about. It's harder to keep a conversation on the phone than in person. I despise awkward silences. That's why I text my friends instead of call. I never call my friends. You can completely avoid awkward silences by texting. When you have nothing else to say, you can just stop texting and your friend will totally get it. You may even be doing them a favor. Technology-1 , anti-technology-0.
On the other hand, technology doesn't translate tone and emotions very well. I'm a very sarcastic person, but I often wonder if people take what I say too seriously. Facebook is also filled with drama potential. If you choose to delete someone from your friends list because, let's face it, she wasn't a good friend to you in the first place, you may get a horrible reaction from her (or in my case, her boyfriend, who I grew up with and was nearly best friends with for 7 or 8 years). Basically, people can take your actions the wrong way, and then unnessesary drama starts. Personally, I can go without this aspect of technology. Technology-1 , anti-technology-1.
And of course there's the argument that modern technology causes you to sit on your ass with your computer, therefore, preventing you from getting out and actually living life. This is a decent argument, but now there are Blackberries, iPhones, and other smart phones with internet that gives you a solution: INTERNET PORTABILITY. I can talk to people via Facebook and email while I'm on vacation, partying on the Vegas strip. Technology-2 , anti-technology-1.
ALSO, technology is extremely helpful for businesses and networking. With access to the internet you have a much larger number of resources than if you were opposed to technology. Good luck getting what you need by posting flyers around town. Technology-3 , anti-technology-1.
So I guess technology wins. It's freaking awesome. And if you are opposed to it then stop bitching about how "inauthentic" society is becoming, and break out your stationary set. Happy letter writing!







Post a Comment